Follow "AmyHasIssues" for some Laughs!

            BIKINIS, BALLS, and A BIG FALL


When I first moved to Hollywood, I did extra work for The Young & the Restless and The Bold & the Beautiful. Sometimes I got called in to work the "BIKINI BAR" scene in The Bold & the Beautiful. 
It  was a ridiculous job, wearing spiked heels and a bikini, dancing to imaginary music and throwing giant beach balls across the set when the director yelled "action!"
Talk about degrading.


I got called in again. Ugh. I hated wearing a bikini on the set. All of the other girls had big boobs and nice legs and it made me feel insecure and uncomfortable. Still, it was an easy $127, and I loved being at the studio. It made me feel like a working actress even though I was only doing extra work.


We were placed strategically around the bar. I was standing directly behind the lead actors in the scene. Sweet! I might actually be on camera for a second or two! Right before we started shooting, an assistant came running over with a GIANT beach ball. It was the biggest beach ball I'd ever seen. He gave it to me and told me to throw it across the bar to another background performer (fancy name for an "extra") when the director yelled "ACTION!" 
Then he added, "Look like you're having fun and remember, you're all dancing even though there's no music." 


I looked at the beach ball. It was HUGE. Didn't they have smaller beach balls?
The cameras were rolling and the director yelled, "ACTION!"  I was dancing in those damn high heels and trying to look natural. The ball was so big it completely blocked my view of the actors across the room. I faked some laughter and giggles (GAG ME) and went to throw the ball but I tripped over a light cord and the ball shot forward, hitting the lead actress in the back of her head. She fell into the camera. I grabbed onto the light stand, pulling it down with me as my head bounced off the corner of the bar. It hurt like hell. I almost lost my bikini top because the string had unraveled and so I was standing there, apologizing to everyone while holding my hands over my boobs because the damn bikini was falling off.  The crew and assistants rushed to help the lead actress.  She was crying and complaining that she bruised her arm. Never mind that my forehead had a big GASH in it! One of the camera guys threw me a towel and said, "You're getting blood all over the set- put this on your head."
The director was pissed off. I kept apologizing but nobody cared. They just wanted to replace the broken light and resume shooting. (The camera was not broken, THANK GOD) I was told to go to the health clinic on the 3rd floor to have my head looked at. 
I walked off the set still holding my bikini top to my chest. Nobody even offered to re-tie the string for me. I didn't go to the clinic. I'd had enough humiliation for one day.


That was the end of my career as a Bikini Bar extra.



No comments: